Thursday, May 14, 2009

Shocking News: I'm in Tokyo

I am sure I'm the only one who had doubts that this would happen, especially after I paid for the ticket and renewed my passport. But I suffer from a certain lack of faith in the future and when the wheels touched Tokyo tarmac, I was genuinely agog, and couldn't have been prouder if I had piloted the plane myself. I turned to my charming Korean teenage seatmate, with whom I had exchanged no words in 13 hours, and I beamed and beamed. "Isn't this amazing?" I would have said, had we shared a language. (on the mutant interantional dateline day that was Tuesday-Wednesday for me, I said almost nothing other than, "Excuse me," and "Do I stand in this line?" and "I don't eat beef." It was a very very hard day for me.)

Even more amazing: after a horrendous half-hour on the tarmac being checked for swine-flu (apparently I don't have it), they *let us off the plane* and into the rest of Japan. Which turned out to be significantly better than the plane. I guess I have only been here for 36ish hours, but I have seen so much so far. Including:

--dozens of beautiful women wearing smocks. Smocks are all the rage in Japan. It's sort of a good look, actually.
--teeny little hole-in-wall bars on labyrinthine side-streets that are over a hundred years old. Drinking and hanging out here seems an almost mystical art.
--hundreds of Poe-style crows, cawing and skulking about and being generally terrifying. There are crows everywhere, and they seem to want to eat you. One of my brother's roommates said there is a rumour that 5 or 6 ganged up and killed a cat.
--My brother!!! Tokyo's great and all, but I would have visited Ben in Kentucky. With who else could I have a conversation like this:
(peering over the side of a bridge into a river at a bunch of carp)

Me (pointing): Those two are in love!!
Ben: Ah, all fish are male.

--giant Uni-Qlo (I'm sorry, this computer's crap so I can't deal with doing links; google to see the wonder that is Uni-Qlo and you won't be sorry). I bought a smock.

Much more to do after I take a shower and my bro comes back from his run (I wussed out early to post this missive) and we head for Yokahama, where there is a beach and trees and a Ferris wheel from which you can see far away.

I'll try to report back, although due to computer issues I'm not too sure about posting pictures. Very important: unlike every other time ever, I am not up on anything like other people's blogs, Facebook minifeed, the general Toronto news, etc. But I am reading email. If something important happens to you, be it fame and fortune, crow attack, or giving birth, you know I wanna know.

Oh, and they put shredded potato on pizza here. It's shockingly good.

I've been meaning to call you
RR

2 comments:

Kerry said...

I've not given birth, in case you were wondering. But I've been thinking about you, and am so glad you're enjoying yourself. xo

AMT said...

this is all so exciting!!

i have also not given birth.
nor have i gotten pregnant.
er, as far as i know.

go team rosenblum-in-japan!