Friday, January 23, 2009

Recs

Yes Man is a B-minus movie, but for some reason the music in the film is A++. The actual soundtrack album of the music that plays in the background of the film includes *nine* Eels songs, (including very annoyingly, *one* I don't have). In addition, there's tonnes of diagetic music that is way more fun to watch/listen to than the rest of the film. Go fig. But PS--are we offended that there is a band out there called Munchausen By Proxy? I think I am. If a band was named "Child Abuse," that wouldn't go over too well, and how is this any different? Their songs are so darn neat, though.

Desk Space is always awesome, but as a literary voyeur herself, Julie Wilson, gives particularly good desk-details.

You wouldn't think I'd like a blog called Brazen Careerist. In fact, I almost never care about the actual advice being offered, but the woman who writes it, Penelope Trunk, is a very good writer, very funny and generous and *fascinating* on the topic of her own life history, and also quite possibly the woman least like me on the planet. I *love* reading her blog.

I'm going to stop pretending I didn't break your heart
RR

6 comments:

Kerry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kerry said...

http://jenniferweiner.blogspot.com/2007_04_08_jenniferweiner_archive.html

Anonymous said...

I loved the music in Yes Man! Keep meaning to download.

That was a v. nasty thing P.Trunk wrote. Kind of sad to read given she has written some very powerful stuff about her time in hospital fighting bulimia and other ongoing mental health issues relating to food. I suspect the two are not unrelated actually.

Anonymous said...

I'm no more offended than I am by bands with names like AIDS Wolf (one of the many bands to come out of the Montreal scene in the last five years or so) or Dead Kennedys, My Life With Thrill Kill Kult or NWA (or any of the bands that are named after euphemisms for genitals or sex acts or any of those crazy Japanese band names that make no sense but are still crazy and abrasive).

Anonymous said...

There *is* a band called Child Abuse. They are from Brooklyn and are quite good.

Rebecca Rosenblum said...

Wow, this was such an inane little post, and it has brought me such dismay. Penelope Trunk is sizeist, there are bands called Aids Wolf and Child Abuse, and worse, if I heard them, I might like them. I do appreciate the information, guys, just wish it were brighter!!