Monday, May 28, 2007

Mid-year review and world report

I usually take the opportunity of my approximately mid-year birthday to look over my new year's resolutions and see which are proceeding apace, which I'm falling down on, and which were actually stupid ideas. I'll spare you the itemized list, but it seems I'm basically doing ok, except for the fact that I resolved to spend an hour a week (not much!) on current events. Anybody seen me do that? Um, no.

This is pathetic, obviously. There's such a thing as a daily newspaper, and it's not just for fish. I'll read a six-hundred page novel, but if it's real, something in my brain just quiets down. This is not an attractive quality, I know.

You, Rose-coloured readers, are encouraged to encourage me, but I am going to take responsibility for this irresponsibility as a global citizen. I'm off to CBC.ca after this report, I swear.

In other news, my weekend was made up of the sort frivolity that regularly distracts me from the serious issues of the day. In other words, it was a really nice weekend. Hanging out in my new (rose-coloured) swimsuit with the gang at a summer bbq, seeing the inner workings and sanctums of Coachhouse Books at Doors Open Toronto, eating Italian food, encouraging my thriving students (those little whippersnappers are *so smart*) and having good conversations near and far. Needless to say, I got little work done, which is bad, but when the sun is shining and life is so entertaining, it's hard to care.

It's the pause that refreshes / in the corridors of power
RR