Monday, May 10, 2010

The News

So the news is, in case you have not been picking up on my extremely subtle hints, that Rose-coloured is moving to its very own dedicated URL with a splendid new design from Create Me This, and life is good. Ok, life is actually incredibly hectic, so I've been building up to the big unveiling by not posting much--I'm sure you've been crushed by my silence. But see below--lotsa cool stuff:

1) May is the Month of the Short Story. I sort of knew this last year, but not really, because I spent most of May in Japan, where was probably not the Month of the Short Story and even if it was I wouldn't have understood. Anyway, I definitely know it this year because Steven WB has moved 31 Days of Short Stories to now and that's so amazing. Although my first thought when I saw the first post was, "Hey, that's not until August!" I have a hard time with change. At least it's not one of those 30-day months or I would really have lost it.

2) Amy asks (in the comments on the last post) what I say when I'm asked by a random person at a party what I do--writer or editor. It depends on the party--I go to a lot of parties where people are both writers and editors and other artistic people and sympathizers. In *that* crowd I always say writer (if we talk for long, the other will come up though) because they are likely to get it and be nice about it. *However* if the party consists of people of unknown professions, I say "editor" because I'm scared they will be mean to me if I say "writer." That's, mind you, a stupid stereotype of people in the non-obviously creative professions (in fact, most people need to be creative to get their jobs done). However, some people *are* dismissive, and I get really sad when someone, even a random stranger, is mean about my writing. It's like they insulted my significant other--the conversation cannot go on. And although rare, this *has* happened.

Pharmaceutical exec: So, what do you do?
Me: I'm a writer. I had a book of stories come out in 2008.
PE: A writer? Really, so you just sit around and write all day?
Me: Well, actually...
PE: Man, that would be great--sleep in, make coffee, write a little story. No crazy commute, no DVP, no stress..
Me: Well, actually...
PE: (long detailed discussion of PE's exact route to work, timing, possibility of accidents, etc. Seriously, 10 minutes!) A writer, wow, I should get on that. That would be the life. No stress at all! You wouldn't believe what I have to put up with.
Me: You must wish you were dead.
PE: What?
Me: I wish *I* were dead?
PE: What?
Me: Oh, look, the hostess just put out a new kind of cheese. Excuse me.

Ok, I might have made a little tiny bit of that up, but largely, it's accurate, and so very depressing. I'd rather just say "editor" and talk about my bus route to the office. Which makes me, I know, a giant wuss, but it's less stressful by far.

3) Lindsay has a new website too, and it's really pretty. Spring is the time of web renewal, apparently!

More to come soon, I promise--and brace yourself for the big change (I think this is a change I will be able to handle) of URL, coming soon!

RR

3 comments:

Amy said...

Your response makes all kinds of sense. I hate telling people I am a writer these days not because I don't think I deserve to call myself a writer (as I have felt in the past) but because it inevitably leads to questions about writing, which in turn leads to questions about The Kite Runner. And I think you know how I feel about that particular book. Oh, and also, non-writing people (like, say, my landlord or Cory's great-aunt) will ask me what my book is about. I KNOW I should know the answer to this by now, but alas.

PS. Congrats on the new URL!

Rebecca Rosenblum said...

Amy, don't feel bad about not being able to answer the "about" question. Here's a great quote from Judith Thompson on the subject:

“If I could tell you what the play was about in one line I would just write the line and put it up on a billboard rather than to go through all the trouble of writing the play.”

David James said...

ApnaShowroom Men's Women's Metal Hair Bands Black Combo set of 5 hairband Unisex
Metal hairband for men women girls hair band Black hair bands for women men boys black metal hairband plastic hair band for women black hairbands for girls boys apna showroom
Apna Showroom Men's and Women's Metal Hair Bands (Black) Combo set of 5 (zigzag_hair_band Metal
Apna Showroom Women's Nylon Underskirt Pantyhose Stockings for women or girls free size black stockings
black stockings for women or girls pantyhose stockings for women girls female ladies stockings apna showroom