Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Festive farewell

I just wanted to send a quick Merry Everything to y'all out there in blog land. I'm mainly dependent on the kindness of others for internet this holiday season (I am currently stealing wireless from somewhere to write this post) so likely there won't be much action on Rose-coloured for the next week or so, although I can never really keep away from the interwebs entirely. But certainly, I wanted to wish all who care to celebrate a merry Christmas tomorrow, and to those who don't, a very nice day!

I don't know if any of you would have run into this, but my short story, "Christmas with My Mother" just got released as an audio download from Rattling Books Earlit Shorts 4. It was very weird to hear my work in another's voice--brilliant, because Janet Russell gives the story a gentle and nuanced interpretation--but very strange since the only place I'd heard those words before was inside my own head. Add to that the fact that I wrote the story over a year ago and hadn't even looked at in six months and the whole thing was something of a shock. I actually squirmed at the awkward moments in the story as I listened and once laughed aloud at a funny part (immodest? sure, but I also think that writers who don't find their own funny parts funny should stop writing them.

That story is also included in this year's Best Canadian Short Stories, which also came in the mail yesterday--merry Christmas to me! So there's two ways to get that story, should you care to. I would like to point out that, despite the title seeming to perfectly coincide with the season, this is very much not a Christmas story, and might not be ideal reading for those of you cuddling down to read in the glow of treelights (or it might be exactly appropriate--depends on how you like your glow). But just FYI.

Other than that, there is very little literary going on around here, but lots that is good--family, old friends, a cake made almost entirely out of pudding, that ornament of a stocking I made in grade 2, 90s nostalgia music, and many hugs. That's how I like my glow--I hope yours is however you want it to be.

Merrily,
RR

No comments: