Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Now Hear This!

Well, I was calm for a while there, but round about the 7-hours-and-counting mark, I became terrified. Following that seven hours I will be, for the first time ever, reading new, unpublished (ie., still possible to revise) work in public. Aieee!

I've heard a lot about, and believe in, the power of audience reaction--both overt (laughter, applause, boos, heckling) and subtle (more attentive silence, more sleepy ignoring silence) to help a writer know what's working in the story and what isn't. And I think I'm finally at the point where I can try it. But, oh, it's going to be so raw to be reading smudgy-ink printouts rather than a nice printed-n-bound object.

Anyway, if you want to be one of the ones who offers that powerful audience reaction, see here. And see you there?

So you don't confuse them / with mountains
RR

1 comment:

AMT said...

breathe! it will be/was terrific!