Monday, January 5, 2009

Resolving, finally



Arigatou gozaimasu.

Ah-ree-gah-toe go-zy-ee-mass

Thank you very much (if you take out the "gozaimasu", it means the same thing, but more informally. There is no one in Japan that I am on informal terms with, however, so I'm not dwelling on that option too much.

In 2009, I have resolved to learn one word/phrase a week in Japanese, at least until I actually go there. I have no hope of learning grammatical constructions, and less of learning how to read any of their alphabets (they have three, apparently). The best I can hope for is enough nouns and polite expressions to stay out of trouble. We'll see how it goes.

That's my only Specific, Measureable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely goal. Normally I make a lot of these (what? HR training courses can be used for good as well as evil), but my helpful friends have been particularly forthright lately in pointing out that many of my SMART goals are in fact, stupid (not an acronym). Maybe I could achieve them, but they say, to no particular purpose.

And then there are the things that are too important to make into resolutions, things that would frighten me to try to push into 2009 if in fact they turn out to feel like more 2010 type things. So I'm not resolving those either.

So far, the only goal other than the Japanese resolution that has received universal approval is one that meets none of the SMART criteria, which is to be braver. Obviously, this is something I need to work on (or I wouldn't be so fretful about something as trivial as new year's resolutions), but I have no idea how I'll know when/if I get there.

Learn Japanese and be brave. Sure. No problem.

2009, you are a very daunting-looking year.

Say goodbye to grace and virtue
RR

1 comment:

AMT said...

you are very very brave.

if you must resolve, resolve to be brave for me.

amt.