Monday, November 5, 2007

Disturbing mental processes

This morning, whilst getting ready for work, I followed a train of thought that cannot be produced here (not because I cannot remember; because it was too stupid) and arrived at an unexpected station: the reason that the 1980s cosmetic kit brand was bizarrely called Caboodles is because it is a kit and the name is reference the other half of the idiomatic expression, "the whole kit and caboodle," which as far as I can tell, actually means nothing. I wish to emphasize that I was not *trying* to figure this out, I just somehow did. And while I am obviously concerned about the trivia my mind sees fit to pursue, it is also obvious that I find this information at least somewhat interesting, as I am after all reproducing it here for your dubious benefit.

Now that I have utterly discredited myself, I would like to recommend that you see the film Michael Clayton if you are at all interested in watching a slow legal procedural with a) no romance, b) no buddy banter, c) very little action (a car does blow up [twice]). I am not certain why I liked this movie, it is not my bag at all, but I really did think it was sharp and interesting and, above all, well-written.

Also long past the point that everyone else noticed, I have finally seen a movie with George Clooney that I could understand (*Oh Brother Where Art Though?* remains utterly inpenetrable to me) and realize that he is both talented and attractive. Who, when he was Jo's concert pianist boyfriend Rick on the *The Facts of Life*, would have guessed? Even better was Tilda Swinton--in a movie full of (nuanced, interesting) archetypes, she played a character I have never seen before, and I think she did it brilliantly.

The plot (in the narrative and diabolical senses) concerns a bad pesticide and the lawsuit of the people it harmed, but this isn't *Erin Brokovich*, thank goodness, and there are larger issues at play than "bad corporations are bad!"

I just love the way a good movie makes me feel--like the world has more pockets and reaches than I knew about before.

We're coming off of the sidelines
RR

2 comments:

Kerry said...

No no! George Clooney played the resident handyman, named, (drumroll), George! With a mullet. I think he was the first man I was ever attracted to, but I've gone off him a bit since then.

I had a caboodles. Do you remember there was a rival brand, but I can't remember what it was called. Do you think you'll be able to uncover this mystery without trying?

frede said...

The rival brand was Sassaby, was it not? Micahel Clayton was awesome but I liked Tilda Swinton'S cahracter the least. I mean, a little background as to why she resorts to such crazily extreme measures would have been nice. Most people don't off anyone who stands in way of their professional goals (or do they? this might explain a lot)