Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Nostalgia for Now

Here I sit at the library info desk, watching bright-faced new students of every age and stripe try to find the student card office. I sit behind a sign with directions on it, but they still like to ask me personally. When I point at the sign they announce: "I've never been in this building before. I'm a *new student*," as if no one had every gotten an acceptance letter before. This is technically quite annoying, but I try to remember that they are *excited*, that for most students this is not a quick administrative errand but the kick-off to a major life change, symbolically their passport to independence, academic or personal or whatever, and certainly very exciting. I felt that way when I came to get *my card, 26 or so months ago. The actual picture on the card is of a very grim Rebecca (my friend John once commented on the pic: "You look like you just got out of juvie!") but in fact I was as exuberant as any of the 18-year-olds who float past me today. I can't explain that picture. It was a great day.

And now I'm at the other end of the experience, three days away from letting my university job, gym membership, library privileges and life lapse. I'll be moving on to other exciting things, natch, but now I'm hanging around winding down at my old job while the whole rest of the university community kicks into high gear. I can't go hang out at my new office in an attempt to wind *up* to the new stuff, because I don't have the free time (I said almost this exact sentence to someone I don't know well, who looked at me *extremely* oddly at this point) and because that'd be a weird thing to do. I'm just going to have to go in semi-blind Monday morning, newborn yet again.

In the midst of all this woebegone schoolgirlishness, I tried to go shopping for some grownup office clothes. I didn't *need* to, since I have plenty of grownup office clothes from the last time we did this. I just like clothes, and thought also it might help with morale.

But you know what's in style for ladies this fall?

Pinafores.

I have enough trouble feeling age-of-majority without dressing like an elderly waif. I'm going to try again, but I'm not feeling too optimistic about my wardrobing options for fall. Throwbacks to 2005, here I come.

And speaking of 2005...remember the last time I freaked out in August? Next post from my old diary!

Seein' her reflection in the knife
RR

1 comment:

frede said...

Aaah, "the last time I freaked out in August" Oh, August freakouts. The domain of the young. I think when you get older the freakouts strike at inopportune times, like midwinter. Good luck Monday. You will, obvs., be knocking them dead and I expect a full report here at rr.b.com